Security

Is Splunk UF vulnerable to SVD-2022-0502 ??

gordo32
Communicator

The advisory (https://www.splunk.com/en_us/product-security/announcements/svd-2022-0502.html) talks about Splunk Enterprise, but makes no mention of the Universal forwarder.

Since UF has many of the same API features as Enteprise, and I do see verboseLoginFailMsg = true when running the btool utility, my assumption is that the UF is also vulnerable.

Can someone confirm:

1. If my assumption is correct

2. If the same mitigation can be performed (so we can use deployment server to resolve)

3. Which version of UF is not vulnerable.

Thanks,

Gord T.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Seeing a setting in btool output does not mean that setting applies to the local instance.  Btool merely shows what is in the local .conf files.  UFs will ignore settings that don't apply to it.

This vulnerability doesn't apply to the admin role, and since a UF typically only has the admin user defined, the cited vulnerability doesn't apply.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Seeing a setting in btool output does not mean that setting applies to the local instance.  Btool merely shows what is in the local .conf files.  UFs will ignore settings that don't apply to it.

This vulnerability doesn't apply to the admin role, and since a UF typically only has the admin user defined, the cited vulnerability doesn't apply.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...