Security

Internet Explorer Login Fails

kmattern
Builder

This is a new one! I cannot log into Splunk using Internet Explorer. I could earlier today and I use IE 99% of the time. I also tried Google Chrome and had the same result. The fields are cleared, no message or anything else. I have totally rebooted my box to no avail. I also stopped and restarted Splunk. That didn't help either.

It works fine in FireFox.

Others in my organization are having the same problem and it began just today.

Version 4.0.11 Linux

What gives?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kmattern
Builder

I was required to set my forwarder to perpetually remain on a specific date. The computer I'm using to access Splunk had the current date. As soon as I changed the current date to be the same as the Splunk computer I was able to get in.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kmattern
Builder

I was required to set my forwarder to perpetually remain on a specific date. The computer I'm using to access Splunk had the current date. As soon as I changed the current date to be the same as the Splunk computer I was able to get in.

0 Karma

rotten
Communicator

What authentication method are you using? Did your LDAP server go down? (Splunk doesn't automatically failover, you have to connect as the admin user and flip it if you have a preconfigured backup.)

We actually use an F5 between Splunk and our LDAP server, and we have a backup configuration preconfigured as well.

If you can't get into the Splunk UI at all, check out $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/authentication.conf to see how you are authenticating. You may need to temporarily move it out of the way, and bounce splunk, to revert to the default authentication method (local file).

If you are using a local file based authentication, is it possible you trashed it somehow? I believe you can hack $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/passwd to try to recover from such a disaster. Search around for "I forgot my admin password" for hints on how to recover it.

rotten
Communicator

Did you get a Flash upgrade? Are both IE and FF using the same version of Flash?

0 Karma

kmattern
Builder

Rotten,

I think you missed this sentence in my question:

"It works fine in FireFox."

Yes, I am using LDAP but cannot get in using the failsafe user id. But all user ids work fine in FireFox.

Something strange is going on.

Ken

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...