Security

I have this problem to configure Active Directory splunk 8.1.1

Elisvan
Engager

Error

01-27-2021 08:08:46.410 -0300 WARN ScopedLDAPConnection - strategy="SIEM" LDAP Server returned warning in search for DN="OU=XX,DC=XX,DC=XX,DC=br". reason="Size limit exceeded"

1-27-2021 08:08:46.411 -0300 ERROR AdminHandler:AuthenticationHandler - Failed to retrieve a group with these settings. Consult your LDAP admin or see splunkd.log with ScopedLDAPConnection set to DEBUG for more information.

We have Splunk 8.1.1 over SUSE 12 and we are trying to connect to AD in order to allow some specific groups. The problem is that Splunk can only "see" a few groups. We have been changing de OU, all kind of conditions and the problem is the same. It is not a permission problem because other tools with the same user can see all groups. We have around +9.000 groups in AD.  Splunk is able to see just 354 groups. We tried to include a static group to minimize the number of occurrencies, but Splunk is not able to find the correct groups. It only see olders groups in AD. The new group that we create for this, it can't see. What are the options to find the problem? Any others passed for this?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Elisvan
Engager

We finally understand the issue. The groups were empty. When we included an user inside the group, all of them appears in the LDAP integration. the big problem is in the splunk error message which has nothing to indicate that this would be the root cause. In summary I put the user in the group problem solved.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

By default splunk gets only 1000 items. So you should increase that value in authentication.conf sizelimit = 10000 or what is you current maximum amount of id:s + some spare over it.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.3/Admin/Authenticationconf

r. Ismo

0 Karma

Elisvan
Engager

We finally understand the issue. The groups were empty. When we included an user inside the group, all of them appears in the LDAP integration. the big problem is in the splunk error message which has nothing to indicate that this would be the root cause. In summary I put the user in the group problem solved.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...