Security

How to troubleshoot SSO slowness

Champion

Hi,

We've been experiencing some ongoing issues where the Splunk search-bar becomes unresponsive - you hit search, and it doesn't move, or even hangs entirely, requiring a reload of the entire page. We did some research, and the system health is good - neither our search-heads, nor our indexes are overloaded. Professional services was onsite, and gave it their blessing. Still, the problem remained, so we decided to create some local accounts, that bypass SSO, to see how they performed. Well, the difference was night and day. The entire "gui experience" was much faster and crisper. I'm at a loss on how to trouble-shoot this issue, however. Any suggestion? Appears to be an SSO issue - are there certain settings that could cause this issue? We use siteminder for our ldap integration.

0 Karma
1 Solution

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi a212830,

I came along such problems when the user or group DN was set at a too high level in the LDAP tree. Work around was always setting the user and group DN's as specific as possible. You can add multiple in the list and seperate them by using a ; between them.
Also, increase the logging channels of AuthenticationManagerLDAP and ScopedLDAPConnection in Settings » Server settings » Server logging to get more logs during run time.

Another thing especially with AD: there was always a performance boost by using a specific DC server instead of the AD domain name. This has of course down sides as well.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi a212830,

I came along such problems when the user or group DN was set at a too high level in the LDAP tree. Work around was always setting the user and group DN's as specific as possible. You can add multiple in the list and seperate them by using a ; between them.
Also, increase the logging channels of AuthenticationManagerLDAP and ScopedLDAPConnection in Settings » Server settings » Server logging to get more logs during run time.

Another thing especially with AD: there was always a performance boost by using a specific DC server instead of the AD domain name. This has of course down sides as well.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post