Security

How to track a specific user login and logoff the past 30 days

twinsound

Please excuse my lack of knowledge with Splunk but I need to track a user by login/logoff for the past 30 days. I looked through some of the answers but can't seem to get this to work. Appreciate your help!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

dfrankekcg
Explorer

This worked for me:

earliest=-30d index=_internal action=login OR action=logoff | eval length=len(user) | search length>1 | eval eventdate=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d") | dedup eventdate, user| table eventdate, user

0 Karma

spammenot66
Contributor

@dfrankekcg, its not working for me. The user detail always populates with "-" rather than an actual user. Did you make any changes to the system to get this to work?

0 Karma

twinsound

Thanks somesoni2: just figured that out as well.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not sure if this will be helpful. We can track the logon/logoff for a user in a windows machine. The data is stored in Event Log under Security. Splunk can monitor the same. EventCode=4624 is for LOGON and EventCode=4634 for LOGOFF. Once data in indexed, you can search Splunk.

source="WinEventLog:Security" EventCode=4624 OR EventCode=4634 | table _time Account* Logon*

0 Karma

twinsound

adylent: thanks for your excellent response but I'm trying to track specific users within Active Directory or Windows security logs to determine when a user logged in/out.

What you provided above was great information when someone logs into splunk, but trying to use a different syntax for searching within the security logs from the DC's.

Thanks for your help!

0 Karma

twinsound

Running version 5.0.4, build 172409

I'm the admin in splunk and have domain admin rights

0 Karma

adylent
Path Finder

You may need to audit your user role and ensure that you have access to the _internal index (I think by default most users are non-internal indexes).

Which version of splunk are you running?

0 Karma

twinsound

When I paste the command with "johndoe" It doesn't find any record. Should I perform a search from Splunk App for Active Directory? I believe by default, it is searching for johndoe logging into Splunk.

earliest=-30d index=_internal sourcetype=splunk_web_service user="johndoe" | convert ctime(_time) as time | eval userevent=time.": ".action | stats values(userevent) as UserEvent by user

Appreciate your help! I'll award you points 🙂

0 Karma

adylent
Path Finder

Try this (verified in splunk 6):

earliest=-30d index=_internal sourcetype=splunk_web_service user="*" action=login OR action=logoff | table user status action reason message

Replace user="*" with the username you care about

Or could do something like this:

earliest=-30d index=_internal sourcetype=splunk_web_service user="*" | convert ctime(_time) as time | eval userevent=time.": ".action | stats values(userevent) as UserEvent by user

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

Hi, 

splunkd sourcetype works fine:
earliest=-30d index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd user="*" action=login OR action=logoff | table user status action reason message

sourcetype=splunk_web_service --- not available nowadays. I think its removed or merged with splunkd. 

0 Karma

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Field value for action is changed from logoff to logout now, use updated query:

index=_internal sourcetype=splunk_web_service earliest=-30d  user="*" action=login OR action=logout | table user status action reason message
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...