Security

How to tie capabilities to custom roles so certain options are hidden based on the user logging in?

tradez
Explorer

We've built a heavily customized OEM Application for our product and I would like to know how to make certain things aware of the user role and hide/show them based on who logged in.

The example would be:

• I have a button on reports that allows a user to create a new firewall policy based on the the row in the alert/report.
  • I would like the capability to have this grey out or even just be hidden if a user is logged in as one person versus another.
  • I suppose I could do this by creating 2 apps (admin and user) and just making the right one the default for that user and the other not accessible to the other, but this is not as elegant and adds a lot of complexity to our distribution.

Thanks!

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You cant easily create new capabilities. Suggest that you partner with splunk as OEM provider and use their support & resources to achieve this.

0 Karma

tradez
Explorer

To clarify, i already have the capabilities to say add a new rule to a firewall from within our app. This question is in regards to even the most basic ability to say make a specific statistics table on an app only show up if the right user is logged in.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm talking about splunk capabilities like:
admin_all_objects, edit_lookups
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.2/Security/Rolesandcapabilities

Have you created your own "splunk capability"? I doubt so.

So what you want to do is get a list of the user's (person running search) capabilities, see if the user has capability xyz, and if so display the edit button. Are you using an SDK? If so, which one?

For example in Python SDK, there is:

class splunklib.client.User(service, path, **kwargs)
This class represents a Splunk user.

Which has a method called "role_entities" which will return a list of the user's roles. You could make a role called can_see_edit_button... give that role to everyone you want to have the edit button.. then in your code check to see if splunklib.client.User(service,path).role_entities contains "can_see_edit_button" or not.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...