Security

How to setup order of apps in the launcher page for all the users?

saurabh009
Path Finder

Hi,

I am trying to setup the order of apps in the launcher page but I am unable to do so.
I tried creating
SPLUNK_HOME(searchHead)/etc/system/local/user-prefs.conf
[general]
appOrder = app1, app2,app3,app4

Restarted the searchhead, but this didn't work.

1 Solution

saurabh009
Path Finder

I am able to implement and test same in un-clustered search head environment, below are steps for same:-
1) Login to search head UI and drag drop the apps in the order we want.
2) Copy the settings for appOrder from [general] stanza which got created under
Splunk_home/etc/users/MyLoginId/user-prefs/local/user-prefs.conf
3) Create below file with copied stanza with specified setting
Splunk_home/etc/system/local/user-prefs.conf
This file will override all the appOrders created for any user in any user-prefs.conf.
4) restart the splunk search head to see the changes.

For clustered search heads we need to do it manually on all search heads inside system/local folder because if we create an app and push it from DS then user setting will take precedence.

Thanks for all the inputs provided.

View solution in original post

saurabh009
Path Finder

I am able to implement and test same in un-clustered search head environment, below are steps for same:-
1) Login to search head UI and drag drop the apps in the order we want.
2) Copy the settings for appOrder from [general] stanza which got created under
Splunk_home/etc/users/MyLoginId/user-prefs/local/user-prefs.conf
3) Create below file with copied stanza with specified setting
Splunk_home/etc/system/local/user-prefs.conf
This file will override all the appOrders created for any user in any user-prefs.conf.
4) restart the splunk search head to see the changes.

For clustered search heads we need to do it manually on all search heads inside system/local folder because if we create an app and push it from DS then user setting will take precedence.

Thanks for all the inputs provided.

whrg
Motivator

This is how I do it. I found this solution a while back when searching on Splunk Answers:

# SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/user-prefs/local/user-prefs.conf
[general_default]
appOrder = app1,app2,app2

This will set the app order for all users.

Please note that if a user explicitly set his own appOrder (via drag and drop) then I believe the user's settings will take precedence. So if the above solution does not immediately work for your user, create a new user and see if it works then.

Also remember to restart Splunk after making changes to configuration files.

On a side note: You can also specify which app is opened automatically when logging into Splunk by setting "default_namespace":

[general_default]
appOrder = app1,app2,app2
default_namespace = app1
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...