Security

How to search average sessions started by hour?

Rapidz
Explorer

Hey, 

I am dealing with data from an app, and I am trying to figure out how to see what times of the day our app is most popular by hour. Im not sure how I can get an average of what times are popular of when users start the app.

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Heres the query I have been using to see users starting sessions:

index=app1 AND service=app AND logLevel=INFO AND environment=prod "message.eventAction"=START_SESSION

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this to find top 5 hours based on session start

index=app1 AND service=app AND logLevel=INFO AND environment=prod "message.eventAction"=START_SESSION
| bucket span=1d _time 
| stats count by _time | sort 5 -count
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use a timechart to get the session counts for each hour.  Then switch to the visualization tab to see the peaks.

| timechart span=1h count
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

Rapidz
Explorer

Hey,

Is there a way for I can see the average time by hour. Right now this just shows the times when users login. It would be super useful for I can know how many users on average use the app by X AM/PM.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

you could use e.g. timechart with span=1h or stats/chart and before it bin span=1h _time.

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...