Security

How to restrict a user to a single dashboard?

matstap
Communicator

I want to make a role such that a user can only view a single dashboard.
They should not be able to access any other page, including any settings pages or the search app.
Is there a way to achieve this?

1 Solution

mayurr98
Super Champion

If you really want to take control of what this set of users can do:

1.Create an app and add your dashboard to that app. Move it or clone it, as needed. Also move/clone any saved searches or other knowledge objects that this app depends upon. Set permissions for all the knowledge objects to read only.

2.Change the navigation for the app, so that the default page in the navigation is the dashboard. Remove everything else from the navigation. (Here is info on how to Build Navigation for your app.)

3.Create a role. Assign your new app as the default app for the role.

4.Go back to the app and set the app permissions to only read for the new role.

5.If you want to make things super-restrictive - go to all other apps and: either remove all permissions for the new role or set permissions to only read, as desired.

6.Add users to your super-restricted role.

7.If you want users in other roles to be able to see the dashboard (but nothing more), you can also give only read access to those roles as well. Remember that a user may have multiple roles.
I hope this helps you!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

If you really want to take control of what this set of users can do:

1.Create an app and add your dashboard to that app. Move it or clone it, as needed. Also move/clone any saved searches or other knowledge objects that this app depends upon. Set permissions for all the knowledge objects to read only.

2.Change the navigation for the app, so that the default page in the navigation is the dashboard. Remove everything else from the navigation. (Here is info on how to Build Navigation for your app.)

3.Create a role. Assign your new app as the default app for the role.

4.Go back to the app and set the app permissions to only read for the new role.

5.If you want to make things super-restrictive - go to all other apps and: either remove all permissions for the new role or set permissions to only read, as desired.

6.Add users to your super-restricted role.

7.If you want users in other roles to be able to see the dashboard (but nothing more), you can also give only read access to those roles as well. Remember that a user may have multiple roles.
I hope this helps you!

0 Karma

matstap
Communicator

This dashboard includes a month selector populated by a query that includes the gentimes command. If the role doesn't have read permissions to the Search & Reporting app, will the user be able to use this element?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...