Security

How to manage password when running a CLI search command in a batch file?

akanno
Communicator

I want to run CLI search command in a batch file on Windows OS.
I hardcode username and password in the batch file because Splunk requires authentication.
However, hardcoding password in the batch file is unfavorable because security reasons.
So, I want to run a CLI search command in a batch file without hardcoding the password.
Could you tell me the best practices that run CLI search command in a batch file?

0 Karma
1 Solution

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can encode it in a configuration file, salt it in a database, etc. This is a common problem with storing any credentials. The best practice is up to your environment, needs, etc. If you must use batch, then you'll probably have to encode it in a config file somewhere.

You'd probably be better off using a different language and encoding the password in some weird base39 etc.

Please see this post https://answers.splunk.com/answers/337706/how-to-hide-the-password-in-the-script-when-i-use.html

or google "best practices for password in batch script", etc. The splunk answers community is not a security forum, although many of us work in the security field.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can encode it in a configuration file, salt it in a database, etc. This is a common problem with storing any credentials. The best practice is up to your environment, needs, etc. If you must use batch, then you'll probably have to encode it in a config file somewhere.

You'd probably be better off using a different language and encoding the password in some weird base39 etc.

Please see this post https://answers.splunk.com/answers/337706/how-to-hide-the-password-in-the-script-when-i-use.html

or google "best practices for password in batch script", etc. The splunk answers community is not a security forum, although many of us work in the security field.

0 Karma

akanno
Communicator

thank you for your reply , jkat54.

It was very helpful for me.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...