Security

How to flag when new value is created in field

manderson7
Contributor

I'm really overthinking this, but am lost.

I need to show when new correlation searches are introduced into the environment. I have a lookup with the current correlation searches, along w/ relevant data, and last time updated. How do I compare current rest call results with the lookup and show the most recently created searches?

Any help would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Something like this

| rest <your rest call> | eval from="rest"
| append [| inputlookup yourlookup | eval from="lookup"]
| stats values(from) as from ..add other fields you need.. by yourPrimaryKeyField
| where mvcount(from)=1 AND from="rest"

View solution in original post

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Something like this

| rest <your rest call> | eval from="rest"
| append [| inputlookup yourlookup | eval from="lookup"]
| stats values(from) as from ..add other fields you need.. by yourPrimaryKeyField
| where mvcount(from)=1 AND from="rest"

manderson7
Contributor

Yep, overthinking. Thank you.

In addition, how would I go about creating a "add on date" field to the lookup once the new search is added to it.

Basically, I'd like to get the dates added for new correlation searches from this time forward in said lookup.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since the rest call might now give the timestamp, you can add a field with current time on the rest query, then append lookup data and take the latest records. Something like this

| rest <your rest call> | eval add_on_date=now()
| append [| inputlookup yourlookup | eval add_on_date=coalesce(add_on_date,0)]
| stats max(add_on_date) as add_on_date ...other fields that you need in lookup... by yourPrimaryKeyField(s) | outputlookup yourlooup
0 Karma

manderson7
Contributor

Thanks for the help so far, this is what I have

|relevant rest call
| eval from="rest"
| eval added_on_date=now()
| fields title, search, updated SplunkApp dataSource actions search added_on_date
| rename title AS Title 
| append 
    [| inputlookup append=true correlation_searches_history.csv 
    | eval from="lookup"
    | eval added_on_date=coalesce(added_on_date,0)
    ] 
| stats max(added_on_date) AS added_on_date values(from) as from values(updated)  by Title

and the search keeps updating the added_on_date in the lookup (when I run outputlookup) to when the search runs. How do I avoid that?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...