Security

How to create application specific user roles?

davesplunk01
Path Finder

how to create application specific user roles. I have multiple applications, need to keep an set of users to perform read and another set of users to write. but the same set of users may required edit permission on the other applications.
Example

user1 - app1_read, app2_power, app3_read
user2- app1_read, app2_read, app3_power
user3 - app1_power,app2_read, app3_read

app_read - can only access like basic user
app_power - can edit the knowledge objects and update the permission of other users like (admin).

thanks,

0 Karma
1 Solution

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Typically this is how I do it.

I will create apps for each integration. Lets say we're pulling in windows event logs from a sharepoint team's farm...

myorg_sharpoint_inputs - contains inputs.conf settings (goes to forwarders only)
myorg_sharepoint_props - contains props.conf and transforms.conf (goes to forwarders and indexers)
myorg_sharepoint_search - contains authorization settings, dashboards, search time knowledge objects (props and transforms too), etc (goes to search heads only)

In myorg_sharepoint_search i will include the following files in /default (you may chose to use /local instead, depending on your needs):
authorize.conf
authentication.conf

authorize.conf will contain something like this:

[role_sharepoint_indexes]
srchIndexesAllowed = sharepoint_windows_eventlogs
srchIndexesDefault = sharepoint_windows_eventlogs

[role_sharepoint_app_read]

[role_sharepoint_app_write]

[role_sharepoint_user]
importRoles = role_sharepoint_app_read, role_sharepoint_indexes

[role_sharepoint_power]
importRoles = role_sharepoint_user, role_sharepoint_app_write, role_sharepoint_indexes

And authentication.conf will contain something similar to this:

[roleMap_LDAPsTRATEGYnAME]
role_sharepoint_user = sharepoint_user_group_name_in_ldap
role_sharepoint_power = sharepoint_power_group_name_in_ldap

And also i create a metadata folder with default.meta like this:

[]
access = read : [ role_sharepoint_app_read ], write : [ role_sharepoint_app_write, admin ]
export = none

I do this for every integration, and specify other stuff in power/user roles in relation to their other capabilities.. (like schedule_rtsearch = disabled, etc.)

I typically clone the out of the box power & user profiles and then reduce the capabilities according to what the requirements are. So you'll notice im not importing power or user roles

Sometimes I have a further need for something like role_sharepoint_groupA_filter in case I need to give different groups of users within the sharepoint team different search filters.

So in conclusion a good model for "personas" is to have a role for each of the following:
Index Access
Application Access
Splunk Capabilities
Search Filters

So that someone can be a member of multiple roles in case they manage more than one team, require access to more than just their team's data, and many other reasons.

View solution in original post

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@davesplunk01 - Did the answer provided by jkat54 help provide a working solution to your question? If yes, please don't forget to resolve this post by clicking "Accept". If no, please leave a comment with more feedback. Thanks!

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Typically this is how I do it.

I will create apps for each integration. Lets say we're pulling in windows event logs from a sharepoint team's farm...

myorg_sharpoint_inputs - contains inputs.conf settings (goes to forwarders only)
myorg_sharepoint_props - contains props.conf and transforms.conf (goes to forwarders and indexers)
myorg_sharepoint_search - contains authorization settings, dashboards, search time knowledge objects (props and transforms too), etc (goes to search heads only)

In myorg_sharepoint_search i will include the following files in /default (you may chose to use /local instead, depending on your needs):
authorize.conf
authentication.conf

authorize.conf will contain something like this:

[role_sharepoint_indexes]
srchIndexesAllowed = sharepoint_windows_eventlogs
srchIndexesDefault = sharepoint_windows_eventlogs

[role_sharepoint_app_read]

[role_sharepoint_app_write]

[role_sharepoint_user]
importRoles = role_sharepoint_app_read, role_sharepoint_indexes

[role_sharepoint_power]
importRoles = role_sharepoint_user, role_sharepoint_app_write, role_sharepoint_indexes

And authentication.conf will contain something similar to this:

[roleMap_LDAPsTRATEGYnAME]
role_sharepoint_user = sharepoint_user_group_name_in_ldap
role_sharepoint_power = sharepoint_power_group_name_in_ldap

And also i create a metadata folder with default.meta like this:

[]
access = read : [ role_sharepoint_app_read ], write : [ role_sharepoint_app_write, admin ]
export = none

I do this for every integration, and specify other stuff in power/user roles in relation to their other capabilities.. (like schedule_rtsearch = disabled, etc.)

I typically clone the out of the box power & user profiles and then reduce the capabilities according to what the requirements are. So you'll notice im not importing power or user roles

Sometimes I have a further need for something like role_sharepoint_groupA_filter in case I need to give different groups of users within the sharepoint team different search filters.

So in conclusion a good model for "personas" is to have a role for each of the following:
Index Access
Application Access
Splunk Capabilities
Search Filters

So that someone can be a member of multiple roles in case they manage more than one team, require access to more than just their team's data, and many other reasons.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...