Security

How to build a search that monitors who accesses a directory on a Linux box

Durwood
Engager

Hello,

I am very new to Splunk but trying to figure a few things out. I have been tasked with building a search so that I can monitor who accesses a directory on a Linux box. I am very unsure how to start this process. I don't have the path that I would like to monitor either but I have been asked to get something basic so that I can just put in the path to the directory when they set it up. 

I realize this is not a lot of information but I would appreciate any help!

Thank you in advance!

Labels (2)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's not as much a question about searching but about how to get this information into Splunk in the first place. I'd say that you need to configure your auditd rules correctly and then capture auditd output.

You can start with https://www.linux.com/topic/desktop/customized-file-monitoring-auditd/

And of course TA and App for auditd

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...