Security

How to add edit_sourcetypes to sc_admin

edgarrity
Path Finder
We want to disable Power Users from editing source types but still allow sc_admin the capability. We unchecked the edit_sourcetypes capability on the Edit Role dialog box for the Power User in Splunk Cloud, then went to the Edit Role for the sc-admin to enable that capability. However, after disabling edit_sourcetypes for the Power User, that capability does not show up in the Edit Role for any role and now no users can edit source types. How do we enable the edit_sourcetypes capability for only the sc_admin role?
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You'll have to open a Support Request to get the capability restored.

In the future, I recommend against messing with the built-in roles.  Instead, clone the role and modify the clone then assign the cloned role to the appropriate users/groups.  It's a little more work at first, but avoids nasty surprises like that, plus it gives you something to fall back to.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

edgarrity
Path Finder

I opened a support ticket.  Splunk manually re-enabled the capability.  However, they have not yet been able to determine why unchecking the edit_sourcetypes capability for the Power User role removed that capability from all roles and removed the ability to re-add it.

I will update this ticket with the fix for this bug when I get the response from Splunk.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...