Security

How to Reset the Admin password?

Lionel
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I just realized that I lost the Admin password and I need a way to access the system, with my Admin credentials.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

cbreshears_splu
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

How to do this in 7.1 + :

Stop Splunk Enterprise
Find the passw file for your instance ($SPLUNK_HOME/etc/passwd) and rename it to passwd.bk
Create a file named user-seed.conf in your $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/ directory.
In the file add the following text:

[user_info]
PASSWORD = NEW_PASSWORD

In the place of "NEW_PASSWORD" insert the password you would like to use.
Start Splunk Enterprise and use the new password to log into your instance from Splunk Web.
If you previously created other users and know their login details, copy and paste their credentials from the passwbk file into the passwd file and restart Splunk.

Versions prior to 7.1 :

Stop Splunk Enterprise
Find the passw file for your instance ($SPLUNK_HOME/etc/passw) and rename it to passw.bk
Start Splunk Enterprise and login to your instance from Splunk Web using the default credentials of admin/changeme.
You will be asked to enter a new password for your admin account.
If you previously created other users and know their login details, copy and paste their credentials from the passw.bk file into the passwd file and restart Splunk.

View solution in original post

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...