Security

How do I identify insecure LDAP connections?

saltybeagle
Explorer

I'm trying to identify insecure connections to our LDAP server. We're using OpenLDAP, and I want to exclude connections which use STARTTLS or port 636.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

saltybeagle
Explorer

I found a possible solution using the ssf value (security strength factor). When StartTLS or SSL is used, the ssf is greater than 0. But the ssf value is logged as 0 at other points when the connection is secure. By finding connections where ssf < 128, you can filter out the secure connections.

source="YOUR-LDAP-SOURCE" | transaction conn maxpause=5m | search ssf<128 | top uid

By using the transaction command you can group the individual connection sequences by the conn attribute, then search for those with a lower ssf AES bit encryption.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...