Security

How do I add the "edit_tokens_settings" capability to the Roles capability list?

nicholashartman

I need to enable hardware token authentication for Splunk login via LDAP which is configured for smart card/token authentication. While running through the Splunk instructions for enabling token authentication, it indicates that I need to add the "edit_tokens_settings" capability for the admin role which will allow me to enable or disable token authentication. However, that capability is missing from the list under Access Controls>Roles>Admin. Further, the instructions say to go under settings and there should be a 'Tokens' page but that's missing as well. What am I missing? Is there an Add-on that enables this? Are the instructions I'm looking at for soft token authentication and I'm barking up the wrong tree? Any help would be appreciated!

0 Karma
1 Solution

horsefez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hey @nicholashartman,

do you have the chance to edit authorize.conf directly on the server?

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.0/Admin/authorizeconf#.5Bcapability::edit_tokens_se...

You can simply add the following settings in your local authorize.conf (If there isn't a local authorize conf yet, make one)

[admin]
edit_tokens_settings = enabled

View solution in original post

nicholashartman

Thanks for the reply! I can try that - I don't have access at the moment so I was trying to go the GUI route or see if anyone knew why the options weren't showing.

0 Karma

horsefez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hey @nicholashartman,

do you have the chance to edit authorize.conf directly on the server?

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.0/Admin/authorizeconf#.5Bcapability::edit_tokens_se...

You can simply add the following settings in your local authorize.conf (If there isn't a local authorize conf yet, make one)

[admin]
edit_tokens_settings = enabled

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...