Security

How ES Licensing works?

evelenke
Contributor

Hi, Splunkers

How on a single-instance Splunk Enterprise\ES search head\indexer can I define the volume of License that is used by ES in order to plan upgrade. Should I count volume of data used by ES Add-Ons?

Or this is actual when we have separate instance for ES?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your ES license is based on your Splunk Enterprise license... so if you've got 100GB of Splunk license, your ES license will be calculated at 100GB.

If you intend to add data while rolling out ES you can add the data to a testing instance for a few days and see how much you get, as you would when adding data to Splunk Enterprise without ES.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your ES license is based on your Splunk Enterprise license... so if you've got 100GB of Splunk license, your ES license will be calculated at 100GB.

If you intend to add data while rolling out ES you can add the data to a testing instance for a few days and see how much you get, as you would when adding data to Splunk Enterprise without ES.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That would be the way to go, yes.
Do keep in mind though, for detailed licensing discussions you should also talk to your local partner or Splunk sales representative.

0 Karma

evelenke
Contributor

Nice, thank you!

0 Karma

evelenke
Contributor

Hi, do I understand correctly - if I have perpetual ES and perpetual Splunk Enterprise licensed and want to upgrade Splunk Enterprise - than I need also upgrade License ES to the same amount?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...