Security

Find out the role of a Splunk server

mjm_bhatiarahul

Hello,

I have 2 servers on which Splunk is installed. I am able to access the Splunk console using splunk2 server.

In the DMC, only splunk2 shows up in the standalone mode with the following server roles:
Indexer
License Master
Deployment Server
Search Head

I cannot access the Splunk console using splunk1 server and I am assuming that is because Splunk web is disabled for this server.

The setup was done earlier and I am now trying to upgrade the instance to the latest version. Before planning the upgrade, I would like to understand what role does splunk1 play in the setup.

Is there a way to find out this information?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

Here https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.1/InheritedDeployment/Introduction is an instruction how to spelunking what you have on your hands.

R. Ismo

0 Karma

dbroggy
Path Finder

Or if you don't care to see all of those fields:
| rest splunk_server=local /services/search/distributed/peers/
|table splunk_server server_roles version

However this query may not list roles for any of:
cluster master
license server
deployment server
monitoring console

0 Karma

jdonn_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The only thing missing from splunk2 is indexer. I believe that this search will list your search peers (indexers), I do not have a distributed env to test on, but it is from the DMC App saved searches:

| rest splunk_server=local /services/search/distributed/peers/

Alternatively, just run any search and look at the splunk_server field, which identifies the server where the data lives.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...