Security

Fails to load the inputs page for an Add-on I created on a different splunk enterprise?

davidtsitsi
Loves-to-Learn Everything

I developed an Add-on with the add-on builder that used python code to send events to my splunk. I first tested that add-on locally (worked prefecrtly) and then tried it on a different splunk enterprise to see if it works there. After clicking on the "install app from file" option and installing it from the SPL file, the icon of the app showed up where the apps are.
I tried to click the app but then, what would normally take me to the inputs page (my app requires an input), prompted an error that said "Failed to load Inputs Page, This is normal on Splunk search heads as they do not require an Input page. Check your installation or return to the configuration page" and when I clicked on details it said "Error: Request failed with status code 500"
To solve this, I tried a few things (none of them worked) - I tried installing the add on builder on the other splunk enterprise, which gave me a blank screen every time I clicked on it, I tried opening a splunk cloud of my own and test it there but  didn't see the "install app from file" option and I tried looking for errors in the console and only saw "Uncaught (in promise) Error: Request failed with status code 500" a few times.
Does someone know a reason as to why it might happen? Ways to fix it?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@davidtsitsi - 500 error means a generic server error.

But as you mentioned you built Add-on with an Add-on builder, most likely there was some python error.

Search for splunkd.logs to find what was exactly wrong at that time for more details.

Additionally, I always suggest adding a lot of debug logs at the time of development for easier troubleshooting.

I hope this helps!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...