Security

Error in Splunkd.log: UserManagerPro - Failed to LDAP user -- for a deleted user!

bnorthway
Path Finder

In my splunkd.log, these messages repeat constantly (several times per minute). I turned on INFO-level logging to see if the extra information is useful. This user, "bnorthway", is an OS user (Linux), but not an LDAP user. There also used to be a Splunk (non-LDAP) user, but this account has been deleted.

Why is Splunk trying to find this account on the LDAP server? How can I stop this?

ERROR AuthenticationManagerLDAP - Could not find user="bnorthway" with strategy="<domain>"
ERROR UserManagerPro - Failed to get LDAP user="bnorthway" from any configured servers
INFO  UserManagerPro - No user context available while checking capability=, auditInfo=""
0 Karma

rajanala
Path Finder

If the user bnorthway owns/created any Splunk artifacts ( like scheduled searches, alerts, etc) , you can change the ownership from bnorthway to nobody.

For example: To change the ownership for searches owned/created by bnorthway
Search for the user in local.meta under $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/metadata/
replace all occurrences of owner = bnorthway to owner=nobody

sk314
Builder

As per the documentation, Splunk will check against all configured access strategies. By default, it searches Splunk local users first and then any other strategy configured.
(Ref: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Security/ConfigureSplunkToUsePAMOrRADIUSAuthentic... )

0 Karma

bnorthway
Path Finder

Where would I find the configuration that is attempting to find this user?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...