Security

Does Splunk Cloud support DUO two factor authentication?

dschneider
Engager

Does Splunk Cloud support DUO two factor authentication? I am a cloud customer who is also a duo customer. I do not see the ability to add DUO under authentication methods.

Thanks in Advance!

1 Solution

pgreer_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, but the cloud instance needs to be at 6.5.x.

alt text

View solution in original post

john_byun
Path Finder

Is this really not possible with Splunk Cloud? Is there a workaround to get MFA working?

0 Karma

davidpaper
Contributor

Hi,

While it is true that there is no direct support for 2FA (Duo) in Splunk Cloud anymore (it was removed after 6.6 I believe), the way to still achieve 2FA is to do it at the SAML/IDP layer. As long as your IDP supports 2FA and the 2FA bits happen outside of Splunk, go for it.

0 Karma

khourihan_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Duo IDP is not supported in in Cloud b/c it cuts off local users needed for administration in Splunk Cloud. If DUO re-writes its IDP in the future it maybe possible.

john_byun
Path Finder

Can Splunk build in an option to enable Duo on an account basis instead of globally?

0 Karma

pgreer_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, but the cloud instance needs to be at 6.5.x.

alt text

splunkindonuts

Can Splunk please confirm that this is still a valid answer? My Splunk Cloud ver 7.2 does not appear to have any options for configuring Duo support.

This page https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.0/Security/AboutMultiFactorAuth clearly states

"Splunk Cloud does not support
multifactor authentication with Duo
Security."

which is a contradiction to this accepted answer.

If Duo is supported in Cloud 7.x/8.x please point us to the appropriate documentation.

0 Karma

bohanlon_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I downvoted this post because this answer is obsolete (and now wrong). see splunk internal engineering reference; spl-154283

0 Karma

timroberts213
Engager

How do we find this document?

0 Karma

dschneider
Engager

Thanks Much!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...