Security

Distance between two or more Geolocations (Lat, Lon,)

Bryon_bowman
Explorer

I'm have a search that pulls in user login info with lat and lon. I'm trying to calculate the distance between two cordinates for the same user name. If there isn't a match on username, I want it to move to the next match and then output the distance between the two with the login time. 

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Gene
Path Finder

Your search
| eventstats dc(src) as src_count by user
| search src_count>1
| sort 0 + _time
| iplocation src
| where isnotnull(lat) AND isnotnull(lon)
| streamstats window=2 global=false earliest(lat) as prev_lat, earliest(lon) as prev_lon, earliest(_time) as prev_time, earliest(src) as prev_src, earliest(City) as prev_city, earliest(Country) as prev_country, earliest(app) as prev_app by user
| where (src != prev_src)
| eval lat1_r=((lat * 3.14159265358) / 180), lat2_r=((prev_lat * 3.14159265358) / 180), delta=(((prev_lon - lon) * 3.14159265358) / 180), distance=(3959 * acos(((sin(lat1_r) * sin(lat2_r)) + ((cos(lat1_r) * cos(lat2_r)) * cos(delta))))), distance=round(distance,2)
| fields - lat1_r, lat2_r, long1_r, long2_r, delta
| eval time_diff=if((('_time' - prev_time) == 0),1,('_time' - prev_time)), speed=round(((distance * 3600) / time_diff),2)
| eval prev_time=strftime(prev_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| table user, src, _time, City, Country, app, prev_src, prev_time, prev_city, prev_country, prev_app, distance, speed

Hope that will help.

Thanks, Gene

View solution in original post

Gene
Path Finder

Your search
| eventstats dc(src) as src_count by user
| search src_count>1
| sort 0 + _time
| iplocation src
| where isnotnull(lat) AND isnotnull(lon)
| streamstats window=2 global=false earliest(lat) as prev_lat, earliest(lon) as prev_lon, earliest(_time) as prev_time, earliest(src) as prev_src, earliest(City) as prev_city, earliest(Country) as prev_country, earliest(app) as prev_app by user
| where (src != prev_src)
| eval lat1_r=((lat * 3.14159265358) / 180), lat2_r=((prev_lat * 3.14159265358) / 180), delta=(((prev_lon - lon) * 3.14159265358) / 180), distance=(3959 * acos(((sin(lat1_r) * sin(lat2_r)) + ((cos(lat1_r) * cos(lat2_r)) * cos(delta))))), distance=round(distance,2)
| fields - lat1_r, lat2_r, long1_r, long2_r, delta
| eval time_diff=if((('_time' - prev_time) == 0),1,('_time' - prev_time)), speed=round(((distance * 3600) / time_diff),2)
| eval prev_time=strftime(prev_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| table user, src, _time, City, Country, app, prev_src, prev_time, prev_city, prev_country, prev_app, distance, speed

Hope that will help.

Thanks, Gene

Bryon_bowman
Explorer

This looks great. Just two questions...what is speed and is the distance in Kilometers or Miles and speed MPH or KPH? 

0 Karma

Gene
Path Finder

Speed is e.g. when user connected from London and next time from China - in this field you can see with what speed user was traveling. This can be very suspicious in case user in 5 minutes did so. 🙂 distance is in miles but you can recalculate for your needs.

Bryon_bowman
Explorer

Thank you!! I should have clarified. is the speed in MPH? Also is there a way to add time between the two logins as a column? 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...