Security

Configuring a light forwarder to monitor the Windows event log

dbutch1976
Explorer

Hello,

The script I'm using to install the light forwarder is below:

msiexec.exe /i Splunk.msi SPLUNK_APP="SplunkLightForwarder" FORWARD_SERVER="indexer.mycompany.com:9997" RBG_LOGON_INFO_USER_CONTEXT=2 IS_NET_API_LOGON_USERNAME="DOMAIN\svc-splunkforwarder" IS_NET_API_LOGON_PASSWORD="########" WINEVENTLOGAPPCHECK=0 WINEVENTLOGSECCHECK=1 WINEVENTLOGSYSCHECK=1 WINEVENTLOGFWDCHECK=1 WINEVENTLOGSETCHECK=1 /quiet

My question is, how can I modify this command line so that it only logs certain things? I don't want to roll this out across my enterprise and the be bombarded by logs because it's capturing too much. For example, can I log errors only?

Also,

If I find a configuration I like how will I modify this configuration for all clients that have splunk installed across the enterprise?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

dbutch1976
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at deployment services. I guess my real question is, since Splunk just monitors certain log files for changes and then forwards the changes to a central store (that's my understanding) is it even possible to modify the forwarder so that it only forwards errors?

0 Karma

JSapienza
Contributor

I'm no expert but I think you need to take a look at using Deployment Server

This is what I use to control who gets which app and the specific inputs . Its a great feature.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...