Security

Cluster Permissions Model

shocko
Contributor

I'm sure this is a noob question but here goes. I have used Splunk from the user perspective but now dipping my toes as an admin. I have Splunk 8.0.5:

• One cluster master
  • One Search head
  • Two indexers to host clustered indexes

I am logged into the UI of the search head and have the admin role but I cannot do any of the following:

1. View any of the clustered custom indexes
  2. View the licensing usage in the monitoring console

I'm presuming this is because it need to logon to the UI of the master node for this in a clustered configuration? So when I try to do this with my account (LDAP) it fails. Is the auth.conf per node in the cluster or centralized? 

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the cluster master is the UI you're using then, yes, you should be able to see all indexes.  Otherwise, the indexes.conf file must be installed on the instance you are using.

Licensing has nothing to do with the visibility of indexes.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the previous admin was any good then he or she installed the same (roughly) indexes.conf file on all nodes.  That would ensure SHs and indexers knew what all of the indexes are.  I say "roughly" because the indexes.conf file on a SH does not need the same volume definitions since no data is being stored by it.

To view licensing usage you must sign in to the license manager or the Monitoring Console.  Since the SH failed you, I presume these roles are filled by the Cluster Manager.

auth.conf files are per-node.

---

shocko
Contributor

So the /local/indexes.conf file on the cluster master appears to have the index definitions.

• Q: Should I not be able to view those in the UI though?

I can see that the authentication.conf files on the indexers and cluster master seem to be at defaults. When viewing the licensing area from the SH I see this:

shocko_0-1605573028116.png

But most of the dashboards are empty

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the cluster master is the UI you're using then, yes, you should be able to see all indexes.  Otherwise, the indexes.conf file must be installed on the instance you are using.

Licensing has nothing to do with the visibility of indexes.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...