Security

Changed the default permissions of newly created Saved Searches to be public?

seanlon11
Path Finder

Currently, when any of my users create a saved search, they are private.

How can I alter that to be public?

Also, is there a way to restrict which users have default public and which ones have default private? (e.g. I want admins' searches to be public, but I want regular users' searches to be saved as private)

Thanks, Sean

Tags (2)

davidpaper
Contributor

It would be really useful to be able to set the default permissions (Private/App/All and Everyone Read/Write as examples). This would make creating Dashboards with saved searches a lot less error prone. It is frustrating when someone creates a search that shows up on a dashboard and has not remembered the manual step to make it visible to all.

carasso
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In Splunk 4.2, the Saved Search dialog answers your wishes.

You can specify either:

• Keep search private
  • Share as read-only to all users of current app

carasso
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As far as I know, no. The Saved Search dialog, has two radio buttons, as I describe above, and it defaults to private.

0 Karma

tedder
Communicator

Is there a way to default the permissions to public in 4.2?

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

I asked a similar intention, but never got an answer. http://answers.splunk.com/questions/4198/. This would be nice feature request. I do have feature request (case 43343) asking for an intermediate step: Give the user the ability to set the permissions when creating a saved search, or at least give them a link to set the permissions immediately after saving, that would be a big improvement I think.

Genti
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To make public go to:
Manager » Searches and reports » testing » Permissions
and change it so that it is available for ALL APPS and check Everyone READ (and/or write if that is what you wish).

As far as i know there is no way to make the default be public. I think they are always private by default.

cheers,
.gz

stefanlasiewski
Contributor

There is no 'Permissions' link for saved searches, at least not that I see.

0 Karma

Genti
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

the "testing" above is my test-saved-search

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...