Security

Certificate generation failed : Splunkd port communication will not work

dkeck
Influencer

Hi,

On start up I am getting this error:

The certificate generation script did not generate the certificate file: /opt/splunk/etc/auth/<folder>/*.pem. Splunkd port communication will not work. SSL certificate generation failed

I try to change the server.pem and rootCA. So in server.conf I just changed the caCertFile, caPath and sslKeyfile to point to the new certificates. (I know these are deprecated but It didn´t work with the new once either).

Is anyone familiar with this, and can tell me what the cause is?

Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Start over completely and do it like this (it is quite complicated and VERY easy to trash your system):

Who: George Starcher and Duane Waddle, Defense Point Security
What: Avoid the SSLippery SSLope of Default SSL
Recording: https://splunk.webex.com/splunk/lsr.php?RCID=da90ccae281af46da9e4a3b46c076a0b
Slides: Media:SplunkTrustApril-SSLipperySlopeRevisited.pdf

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Start over completely and do it like this (it is quite complicated and VERY easy to trash your system):

Who: George Starcher and Duane Waddle, Defense Point Security
What: Avoid the SSLippery SSLope of Default SSL
Recording: https://splunk.webex.com/splunk/lsr.php?RCID=da90ccae281af46da9e4a3b46c076a0b
Slides: Media:SplunkTrustApril-SSLipperySlopeRevisited.pdf

dkeck
Influencer

No one? 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...