Security

Can you use 3rd party cert for Splunk Web while using another self-signed client-side cert connecting to Splunk API 8089?

iamjvn
Explorer

It seems the Splunk Web application does not allow for configuration to serve a 3rd party certs for Splunk Web 443, while using another client-side cert connecting to Splunk API 8089. Is my conclusion correct?

I'm referring to the following 2 types of exchanges:
1. Browser (client) to Splunk Web 443/8443 (server) - 3rd party certs with 3rd party root CA - WORKS
2. Splunk Web (client) to Splunkd 8089 (server) - self-signed with own CA root cert - DOES NOT WORK - The 3rd party cert is provided by Splunk Web as the client-side cert, which is not what I want.

My problem is that connection #2 does not authenticate the Splunk Web client because it seems I cannot configure it to use a different certificate for the Splunk Web client-side of the connection to Splunkd.

server.conf:

[sslConfig]
serverCert=/my-own-certs/self-signed-certificate1.pem
requireClientCert=true

web.conf:

[settings]
serverCert=/provided-certs/3rd-party-certificate.pem

What am I missing here?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...