Security

Can the PASSWORD within user-seed.conf be hashed rather than in clear text?

chris_barrett
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can the PASSWORD in the user-seed.conf file be a hashed representation, or does it need to be specified in the clear?

1 Solution

chris_barrett
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Answering my own question here ... The ability to specify a hashed password was added in Splunk 7.1.0.

Ref: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.0/Admin/User-seedconf

View solution in original post

0 Karma

chris_barrett
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Answering my own question here ... The ability to specify a hashed password was added in Splunk 7.1.0.

Ref: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.0/Admin/User-seedconf

0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

Trying it out on 6.5.3 on Mac, I took the hash of the password I had from the passwd file, and set it into user-seed.conf and removed the passwd file and restarted... the user was then created with the password not as the previous password, but as the hash itself. as a result it seems this is a specified in the clear sort of thing...

Unless someone finds an undocumented option to do otherwise, but thought I would share the attempt.

EDIT: Although it occurs to me, if you already have the hashed version of the password, for the admin account... you probably could just drop the generated $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/passwd file everywhere, (and touch $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/.ui_login while you're at it...)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...