Security

Can a role only have write access to an index?

klim
Path Finder

Is it possible to limit a role to only have write access to an index? 

For example I want a role to be able to do summary indexing via the collect command but I do not want them to have to be able to see what is in the index.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

I don't think that this is possible.

How your role can collect that data to write into index if it cannot read it?

What is your actually issue which you are trying to solve.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

klim
Path Finder

If a role has access to index1, then it can search it and run something and then summary index via the collect command to index2. But I want it so that they can only write to index2 and can't read it.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I’m not sure, but maybe you could try search filter to restrict that read access? I’m not sure if it’s also block the write access too or not?

But you should remember that this role can always generate that data on summary index again from base indexes as long it was on those!

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

looks like its possible.. test it on test/dev system thoroughly. 

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/Security/Rolesandcapabilities

indexes_editLets the user change any index settings such as file size and memory limits.

and then, try to restrict that index to that user.. 

https://community.splunk.com/t5/All-Apps-and-Add-ons/RBAC-with-indexes/td-p/401763?_ga=2.172840355.1...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...