Security
Highlighted

Can Splunk be configured to add a single active directory user instead of a group?

Communicator

Can Splunk be configured to pull a single AD user instead of a group? I have tried a number of user base filters with no success. My group filters work without issue.

I have tried to use the following for the user base filter options:

• (&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(sAMAccountName=someone))
• (&(objectClass=user)(sAMAccountName=someone))
• (&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(cn=someone))
• (&(objectClass=user)(cn=someone))

I am getting the following errors in splunkd.log.
• ERROR AdminHandler:AuthenticationHandler - Failed to retrieve a group with these settings. Consult your LDAP admin or see splunkd.log with ScopedLDAPConnection set to DEBUG for more information.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Can Splunk be configured to add a single active directory user instead of a group?

Contributor

It is possible if you add constraint in the User Settings:

User Base Filter
(&(objectClass=user)(cn=someone))

And check in the Group Settings:

Static group search filter should have constraint for the group where someone exists.
e.g.
(&(objectClass=group)(cn=Splunk-Someones-Group))

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Can Splunk be configured to add a single active directory user instead of a group?

Communicator

I tried that. Still doesn't work.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

Can you post User Settings & Group Settings?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Communicator

Sure.

User Base DN:
OU=Contractors,OU=Non-main Users,OU=mainusers,DC=domain,DC=org
User Base Filter:
(&(objectClass=user)(cn=someone))
Group base DN:
OU=Contractors,OU=Non-main Users,OU=main
users,DC=domain,DC=org
Group Filter:
(&(objectclass=group)(cn=Contractors)

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

Can you try adding following:

User name attribute >> samaccountname
Real name attribute >> cn
Group mapping attribute >>dn

Group name attribute >> cn
Static member attribute >> member

P.S. I tried in my system and able to pull only one user. I had these extra parameters set.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Communicator

Those are all already set. I've tested the syntax against LDAP and the work to pull the single user. No idea why it won't work for me within Splunk.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Communicator

Do you know where I can set the ScopedLDAPConnection to DEBUG? I can't find it in the log.cfg.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

settings >> System settings >> System Logging

0 Karma
Highlighted

Communicator

Thanks. So here is what i am getting.

02-06-2015 15:52:47.923 -0500 DEBUG ScopedLDAPConnection - strategy="contractorperson" Adding attribute="cn" with value="Person"
02-06-2015 15:52:47.923 -0500 DEBUG ScopedLDAPConnection - strategy="contractor
person" Adding attribute="sAMAccountName" with value="xxxxx"
02-06-2015 15:52:47.923 -0500 DEBUG ScopedLDAPConnection - strategy="contractorperson" Adding attribute="mail" with value="person@domain.org"
02-06-2015 15:52:47.923 -0500 DEBUG ScopedLDAPConnection - strategy="contractor
person" Attempting to read entry at DN="OU=Contractors,OU=Non-Main Users,OU=Main,DC=domain,DC=org"
02-06-2015 15:52:47.923 -0500 DEBUG ScopedLDAPConnection - strategy="contractorperson" Attempting to search subtree at DN="OU=Contractors,OU=Non-Main Users,OU=Main,DC=domain,DC=org" using filter=""
02-06-2015 15:52:47.925 -0500 DEBUG ScopedLDAPConnection - strategy="contractor
person" Search duration="1992 microseconds"
ScopedLDAPConnection - strategy="contractor_person" LDAP Server returned no entries in search for DN="OU=Contractors,OU=Non-domain Users,OU=Main,DC=domain,DC=org" filter="(&(&(objectclass=group)(cn=Contractors))(cn=)(member=))".
02-06-2015 15:52:47.928 -0500 ERROR AdminHandler:AuthenticationHandler - Failed to retrieve a group with these settings. Consult your LDAP admin or see splunkd.log with ScopedLDAPConnection set to DEBUG for more information.

0 Karma