Security

Can I give users the ability to create "Saved Searches" but not the ability to schedule?

seanlon11
Path Finder

From what I have found online, and looking in the Manager, it appears that I can only give users the ability to schedule a search.

http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/admin/Addusersandassignroles

However, I do not want to give users the ability to schedule their searches, but I DO want to give them the ability to create a Saved Search.

Can this be done?

Thanks,
Sean

Tags (3)
0 Karma

hazekamp
Builder

Sean,

By default users have the ability to create a saved search. This is not a capability you need to add. If you don't want them to schedule searches (also default behavior) make sure you don't set the "schedule_search" capability.

0 Karma

hazekamp
Builder

vsid maps to a viewstate.conf stanza. The error you are getting specifies that you have a savedsearch with a vsid that is not available in viewstates.conf

0 Karma

seanlon11
Path Finder

I am not sure I understand what "vsid" does. Here is the user's savedsearches.conf

[VTS Connection]
dispatch.earliest_time = -60m@m
dispatch.latest_time = now
displayview = flashtimeline
request.ui_dispatch_view = flashtimeline
search = mcvts00#
vsid = gdxa8nfw

[VTS Connection Errors]
dispatch.earliest_time = 1286946000
dispatch.latest_time = 1287201600
displayview = report_builder_display
request.ui_dispatch_view = report_builder_display
search = vts error | timechart count
vsid = *:gfbm5aqs

I cloned the user having issues, and the cloned user has the exact same problem.

Thanks.

0 Karma

hazekamp
Builder

Have you tried removing any references to vsid=gn0t66si in savedsearches.conf?

0 Karma

seanlon11
Path Finder

Every time basic users try to save a search, they get the following:
Encountered the following error while trying to save: In handler 'savedsearch': Cannot find viewstate with vsid="gn0t66si"

Name Alert - HH returnValTBWS
Search host=hhwas0* "returnValTBWS:false"

Description (optional)

Time rangeStart time (optional)

'-1d' is a day ago. '-45m' is 45 minutes ago.
Time specifiers: y, mon, d, h, m, s
Finish time (optional)

What else could be wrong? Why am I getting the errors above? My admin account has no problem saving exactly what is listed above.

Thanks,
Sean

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...