Security

Can I force forwarders to use TLS 1.2 by disabling SSL3?

MrMcGeough
Explorer

I need to disable SSL3 and enable TLS 1.2 across all of Splunk Enterprise. SSL3 is being disabled entirely in my organization.

If I just add "sslVersions = -tls1.1, tls1.2, -sslv2, -sslv3" to the inputs.conf, server.conf (under [sslConfig] ) and web.conf on the Indexer, would this not force all forwarders to use TLS 1.2 (or not connect at all if TLS 1.2 is not enabled on the forwarder)?

I have read a number of questions on this, and I'm not entirely clear how I can be certain that I am using TLS 1.2 exclusively across all Splunk servers.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

MrMcGeough
Explorer

I followed that guide to force TLS. As I said above, "I'm not entirely clear how I can be certain that I am using TLS 1.2 exclusively across all Splunk servers."

When they shut down SSL3, I don't want to find out that somehow Splunk was still using it for 'x' to communicate.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...