Security

CVE-2018-11409 Nessus Scan Trick modify restmap.conf

kballow
Observer

Hello All,

Nessus keeps throwing the error that "/en-US/splunkd/__raw/services/server/info/server-info?output_mode=json" exposes critical information for unauthenticated scans, but it the test is stupid and runs an authenticated scan, therefore it fails since the data will be presented if authenticated.

We need a clean Nessus scan result and I managed to make the following changes to restmap.conf

[admin:server-info]
requireAuthentication = true
acceptFrom = "127.0.0.1"

[admin:server-info-alias]
requireAuthentication = true
acceptFrom = "127.0.0.1"

This basically makes it even if you are authenticated you will get forbidden if you visit "/en-US/splunkd/__raw/services/server/info/server-info?output_mode=json".

This works great, but a side effect is that I am unable to view some UI pages like for example the user page anymore. I would have to remove the 127.0.0.1 line to view the UI elements. Anyone know how I can specially block "/en-US/splunkd/__raw/services/server/info/server-info?output_mode=json" but not cause other pages like users from being blocked? 

This is to just get the nessus scan to pass.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...