Security

CLI "login failed" error on DS

cnuguri_ncc
Path Finder

Hello all,

Configured custom ssl certificates on Deployment Server (both splunkd and splunk web), and deployment clients are connecting to DS fine on this setup.

But, command line login started failing after this while running any commands on DS, Need help in resolving this please ? (we have requireClientCert=false).

Thanks in Advance
Chetu

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did you cycle Splunk after enabling web SSL? How are you running Splunk? As root, or another user?

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did you cycle Splunk after enabling web SSL? How are you running Splunk? As root, or another user?

----
0 Karma

cnuguri_ncc
Path Finder

Thanks @codebuilder 

Not exactly sure how, but it started working. I can only think the restart (although a few times) must have fixed this.

0 Karma

cnuguri_ncc
Path Finder

Yes, restarted a few times.
Splunk is running as "Local System" on Windows.

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What is the full command you are running? Also, have you looked at the the _audit index for any messages related to why the auth is not successful?

----
0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's asking for the Splunk admin account password that you would have created when installing Splunk. You can reset it via the web UI if you have access, or you can reset it with the user-seed.conf method.

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Security/How-to-Reset-the-Admin-password/m-p/10622

----
0 Karma

cnuguri_ncc
Path Finder

@codebuilder Sorry for not being clear enough,  It fails when I enter the admin login details. The same username and password works with Splunk web though ( this is the admin account created at installation ).

And this started after I have setup SSL for splunkd port so wondering if that is affecting the CLI authentication ? Is there a way to setup cert authentication for CLI ?

Thanks
Chetu

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...