Security

Is anyone auto-blocking malicious IPs using the 'Alert Action' or using other methods?

geekf
Path Finder

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is auto-blocking malicious IPs using the 'Alert Action' or using any other method. We have Cisco FMC and are thinking of using the REST API to block the IPs. I would appreciate it if anyone has achieved this and can share how you are doing this.

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Karma

geekf
Path Finder

Hey @johnhuang , if that script is something you can share, I would appreciate that.

0 Karma

johnhuang
Motivator

Don't feel fully comfortable with Splunk making changes to critical systems, you should implement checks in the middle either scripting it yourself or leverage a SOAR platform.

We have success with scripting using Splunk report/query result -> Internal Webpage -> Palo Alto (using external dynamic address list) to block. Within our process, we have multiple layers of check to ensure it doesn't block anything legitimate.

johnhuang
Motivator

Basically you need to setup a process where you have a script which runs a splunk report/search via restapi and publish a list of "malicious ips" to an internal webpage (aka threat feed). Then you setup a firewall rule to block based on the threat feed.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...