Security

Am I missing any configurations with Splunk forwarder SSL custom certificates?

SS1
Path Finder

Hi,

I have configured my windows forwarder to use the custom CA and Server certificate. Below is the configuration and the forwarder is able to connect to indexer fine.

File: C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\system\local\outputs.conf

[tcpout]

defaultGroup = default-autolb-group

[tcpout:default-autolb-group]

server = XXX:9998

clientCert = C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\auth\mycerts\testCertificate.pem

sslPassword = XXX

useClientSSLCompression = true

sslRootCAPath = C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\auth\mycerts\myCAcertificate.pem

[tcpout-server://XXX:9998]

But still in the splunkd.log file i am seeing below message,

X509Verify [14596 HTTPDispatch] - X509 certificate (O=SplunkUser,CN=SplunkServerDefaultCert) should not be used, as it is issued by Splunk's own default Certificate Authority (CA). This puts your Splunk instance at very high-risk of the MITM attack. Either commercial-CA-signed or self-CA-signed certificates must be used; see: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Security/Howtoself-signcertificates

Any idea if I am missing any configs here?

Labels (3)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you sure it's not related to another part of config?

To be on the safe side I'd do a tcpdump/wireshark dump and see which certs are really used on the wire.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...