Security

Am I missing any configurations with Splunk forwarder SSL custom certificates?

SS1
Path Finder

Hi,

I have configured my windows forwarder to use the custom CA and Server certificate. Below is the configuration and the forwarder is able to connect to indexer fine.

File: C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\system\local\outputs.conf

[tcpout]

defaultGroup = default-autolb-group

[tcpout:default-autolb-group]

server = XXX:9998

clientCert = C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\auth\mycerts\testCertificate.pem

sslPassword = XXX

useClientSSLCompression = true

sslRootCAPath = C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\auth\mycerts\myCAcertificate.pem

[tcpout-server://XXX:9998]

But still in the splunkd.log file i am seeing below message,

X509Verify [14596 HTTPDispatch] - X509 certificate (O=SplunkUser,CN=SplunkServerDefaultCert) should not be used, as it is issued by Splunk's own default Certificate Authority (CA). This puts your Splunk instance at very high-risk of the MITM attack. Either commercial-CA-signed or self-CA-signed certificates must be used; see: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Security/Howtoself-signcertificates

Any idea if I am missing any configs here?

Labels (3)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you sure it's not related to another part of config?

To be on the safe side I'd do a tcpdump/wireshark dump and see which certs are really used on the wire.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...