Security

After upgrading Splunk from 6.2.x to 6.3, users with power role are getting "403 Forbidden" using debug/refresh URL. What capabilities are needed?

flee
Path Finder

We have users in Power role that were using ...debug/refresh URL in v6.2.x. However, after we upgraded to v6.3, those users are not able to use the debug/refresh anymore. They're now getting error message "403 Forbidden. Unauthorized to access this resource." page instead.

I added the run_debug_commands capabilities which was not included previously to the role, but they're still getting the same 403 error.

Is there any other capabilities needed?

Thanks for your help.

1 Solution

renjith_nair
Legend

Try adding web_debug capabilities as well. This is configured in authorize.conf and the admin role has this by default. Also for 6.3, in web.conf the following setting must be set to true:

enableWebDebug = true|false
- Controls the visibility of the debug endpoints (i.e., /debug/**splat).
- Defaults to false

Similar question : https://answers.splunk.com/answers/312428/why-am-i-no-longer-able-to-access-sso-and-echo-deb.html

Happy Splunking!

View solution in original post

renjith_nair
Legend

Try adding web_debug capabilities as well. This is configured in authorize.conf and the admin role has this by default. Also for 6.3, in web.conf the following setting must be set to true:

enableWebDebug = true|false
- Controls the visibility of the debug endpoints (i.e., /debug/**splat).
- Defaults to false

Similar question : https://answers.splunk.com/answers/312428/why-am-i-no-longer-able-to-access-sso-and-echo-deb.html

Happy Splunking!

flee
Path Finder

Thanks renjith.nair! It worked. Since I only wanted a specific role to have this capability, I added web_debug only to the role.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...