Security

Additional SSL Verification

v_trilo

Hey everyone.
First time SSL setup (IDX & UF both v8.x) and cert creation (never done before). Had a question about verifying if things worked. I walked through splunk docs and got to the point of verifying connection.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.2/Security/Validateyourconfiguration

On my IDX i can run:

index=_internal source=*metrics.log* group=tcpin_connections | 
dedup hostname | table _time hostname version sourceIp destPort ssl

I do get expected result returned port (9998) and SSL = true.
BUT this was the only part of the instructions that i could follow to verify SSL items. I can't find anything else within Splunkd or index=_* referencing what is being mentioned in the validating procedures for the UF portion. I can see that the UF has the following output in splunkd "Connected to idx=10.202.20.229:9998". This UF is only setup to forward to the one server over port 9998.

The next steps i followed where on this page https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.2/Security/Troubleshootyouforwardertoindexerauthent...

openssl s_client -connect <server>:<port>

and the expected output mentioned Verify return code: 0 (ok) was instead returning code: 18 (self signed certificate).
Then on the UF i attempted to monitor a random log file that i update. On the main Splunk server i can see the data come in.
I'm just second guessing if i did things correctly given i wasn't able to validate internal Splunk logs.

UF

server.conf 
 [sslConfig]
 sslRootCAPath = /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/auth/myCerts/myCACertificate.pem
 sslPassword = <with pass here>
outputs.conf 
 [SSL]
 [tcpout]
defaultGroup = group1
 [tcpout:group1]
 server = 10.202.20.229:9998
 disabled = 0
 clientCert = /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/auth/myCerts/myNewSplunkForwarderCert.pem
useClientSSLCompression = true

IDX

inputs.conf
 [splunktcp-ssl:9998]
disabled = 0
[SSL]
serverCert = /opt/splunk/etc/auth/myCerts/myNewSplunkIndexerCert.pem
requireClientCert = "true"
server.conf
 [sslConfig]
 sslRootCAPath = /opt/splunk/etc/auth/myCerts/myCACertificate.pem
Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...