Security

Actions Menu Menu-Items

Ant1D
Motivator

Hi,

I have asked a similar question below where I received a workaround. See here:
http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/8930/actions-menu-export-results-titlebar-module

In Splunk versions 4.2.x you could export results, print results etc using the ResultsActionButtons module. I believe that in v4.3 these buttons have been replaced with links that provide the same functionality.

I am currently using v4.2.1 and I have noticed that when I am in the flashtimeline view, the Actions menu "becomes useful" as it offers menu items such as "Export results..." and "Get link to results...". The Actions menu does not function like this in any of my other views.

Is there a possible reason for this? How can I get these menu items to be available inside the Actions menu when I am looking at this dropdown menu inside any view?

A solution would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help.

I added the following Advanced XML to a view:

<module name="TitleBar" layoutPanel="viewHeader">
<param name="actionsMenuFilter">search</param>
</module>

The "Export results..." menu item now appears when I click on the Actions menu but it is disabled. How can I enable it?

Tags (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

For certain functions to be enabled, you have to both set the 'actionsMenuFilter' to one of the corresponding values (which you've done), and you also have to nest the TitleBar module deeper within the view, so that it is located at a point in the XML where the search will be running.

You can leave the layoutPanel="viewHeader" on it, and that will be sufficient to keep it visually located near the top. However nest it deeper inside the view.

Once the TitleBar module is nested deeper in, ie as a sibling of a JobProgressIndicator or Paginator or some module where a search will be running, then the export/save functions will get enabled.

As a side note, I too feel the pain of export. ResultsActionButtons changing to links threw me for a loop and indeed, export dissappeared which was a big bummer. Partly from that, and from JobStatus being a tricky module for me as an app developer, and from the TitleBar module being tricky, as a part of the next release of Sideview Utils 2.0 I'm introducing a module called SearchControls. SearchControls looks a lot like JobStatus but a) also offers an export button, and b) is much easier for app developers to customize and whittle down to just the controls they want users to see on the page.

UPDATE:
The SearchControls module was released as a part of Sideview Utils 2.0.6.

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

For certain functions to be enabled, you have to both set the 'actionsMenuFilter' to one of the corresponding values (which you've done), and you also have to nest the TitleBar module deeper within the view, so that it is located at a point in the XML where the search will be running.

You can leave the layoutPanel="viewHeader" on it, and that will be sufficient to keep it visually located near the top. However nest it deeper inside the view.

Once the TitleBar module is nested deeper in, ie as a sibling of a JobProgressIndicator or Paginator or some module where a search will be running, then the export/save functions will get enabled.

As a side note, I too feel the pain of export. ResultsActionButtons changing to links threw me for a loop and indeed, export dissappeared which was a big bummer. Partly from that, and from JobStatus being a tricky module for me as an app developer, and from the TitleBar module being tricky, as a part of the next release of Sideview Utils 2.0 I'm introducing a module called SearchControls. SearchControls looks a lot like JobStatus but a) also offers an export button, and b) is much easier for app developers to customize and whittle down to just the controls they want users to see on the page.

UPDATE:
The SearchControls module was released as a part of Sideview Utils 2.0.6.

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's very difficult. To get print/export and all the rest, you have to nest the TitleBar further into the view, so that it is sitting at a point where the search will be dispatched. However then you have to extensively patch the Javascript from application.js, to make the other unwanted options not appear. I've done this on a couple apps but it requires a fairly deep understanding of the TitleBar source code.

0 Karma

Dark_Ichigo
Builder

How can I add only the Print selection to the TitleBar?

0 Karma

Ant1D
Motivator

Hi sideview, your answer makes sense, thanks. I will try it and give feedback. What are the values that go inside the actionsMenuFilter parameter? I know there is 'dashboard' and 'search' but are there more values? Is this in the Splunk documentation anywhere because I couldn't see it in the module reference

0 Karma

jubal

I'm very interested in an answer. Perhaps someone from Splunk could authoritatively state whether this is even possible?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...