Security

Accidently removed permissions from only admin account

jmadsen1
Explorer

Hello, I recently messed up the permissions for the only account in my testing environment instance. I no longer have access to search my existing indexes and I cannot seem to re-grant admin level privileges to my account as I do not have the privileges to do so. I have tried to make another account but of course I am unable to give that account the permissions that I need. If there is anyway that I can restore my access please let me know.

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you have revoke role from admin user you can just add it back to passwd file or maybe it's easier to remove that user from passwd and then recreate it as this https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.3/Security/Secureyouradminaccount

If you have revoke capabilities form role then, probably easiest way is remove etc/system/local/authorize.conf (take backup first if there is something special which you are needing later.

r. Ismo

View solution in original post

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you have revoke role from admin user you can just add it back to passwd file or maybe it's easier to remove that user from passwd and then recreate it as this https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.3/Security/Secureyouradminaccount

If you have revoke capabilities form role then, probably easiest way is remove etc/system/local/authorize.conf (take backup first if there is something special which you are needing later.

r. Ismo

jmadsen1
Explorer

Isoutamo you are my hero, thank you so much!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...