Other Usage

now() + scheduled report when delayed

acadea
Explorer

Hello Splunk ninjas,

We all know about scheduled reports configured to use a schedule window - when they run delayed,  they still gather data for the time range that they would have covered if they started on time.
In short - it will search over the time range it was originally scheduled to cover.

What happens when the search query is using now() function ? Like many of the ESCU correlation searches...

Example: There is a query containing :

| where firstTimeSeen > relative_time(now(),1h)

The report is scheduled every hour (cron =  0 * * * *)  using a search time range earliest=now, latest=-70min. Schedule window = auto.

And this is a busy day therefore our query is executed 40 minutes later than scheduled.

As mentioned at the begining, the time range used doesn't change, it's still :00 - :59 (previous hour).

However, the now() has this definition :This function takes no arguments and returns the time that the search was started.

The result set of the report is different now.

Is this behavior flawed by design ? Many of the ES/ESCU correlation searches use this kind of filtering ( based on now()).

How to solve this ?

no schedule window ? no auto ? higher priority ? durable search ? real-time mode instead of continuous ?

Thanks for your educated answers.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...