Reporting

export Splunk data to template excel

divjak

Ave!

Is there any easy way to extract Splunk data into predefined (template) excel document?
I have a simple result table and I want, by simple click on button, export all data in table to predefined .xls worksheet to a specific location in document.

Thanks for help.

0 Karma

jadengoho
Builder

Does anyone successfully accomplish this ?

0 Karma

divjak

Has anybody experience with Python's xlrd, xlwt and xlutils.copy? I am thinking of modifying Excel Export app by adding xlrd and xlutils.copy (since there is only xlwt) and then making some changes like this ...maybe it is not so difficult because I need a simple copy of template and insert results from table in Splunk to exact place in template.xls file in same table order as it is in Splunk..and then save it.

0 Karma

watsm10
Communicator

A couple of ways I have done this in the past. We are currently using the automated option and is working for us. We are able to produce daily, weekly and monthly reports in Excel format using templates.

Manual

1. Using the export option from the search bar (after the search has completed) or use a saved search where the CSV file is sent via e-mail.
  2. Dump the contents of the CSV file into the template you created and it will be mapped to display the data in the correct way. (Look up "excel link values")

OR

Automated

1. Install a free mail server (hMail server).
  2. Point Splunk to send emails to the mail server.
  3. Attach a VBScript to the mail server to scan each email for a CSV attachment and save it.
  4. A VBScript is run on a CRON job to copy the CSV file to the Excel template (stored locally).
  5. The template you created will be mapped to display the data in the correct way. (Look up "excel link values")
  6. The file will be saved locally, but you could always configure it to be sent to an e-mail recipient.
0 Karma

divjak

nice solution, but it is possible without too many other programs? Just Splunk and Excel maybe..

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Use the Excel Export app!

http://apps.splunk.com/app/760

divjak

I am using Excel Export app already but I want that process of copy paste in template excel format to be automated..just by click on button it will retrieve a .xls document with results from Splunk in template format.

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Exporting to a pre-defined template is actually something I have done for a few customers, but I haven't made the leap into making it a full blown feature.

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

Although it is may be used to help

1.simple click on button
(1) customize the Excel Export.
(2) And output to Excel using the API.

2.Other
(1)To create a VBA macro that captures data output by Excel Export.

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

Python SDK might be easiest because some EXCEL library in Python.
Good luck!

0 Karma

divjak

pfiuu ... I see there is no easy way... let struggle

thanks for respond Hiroshi

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...