Other Usage

csv report has some lines split in multiple cells

nicofantinato
Path Finder

Hi all,

tabled results from a scheduled search are sent via email as a csv attached. Some rows could be very long so in some cases, when I open that csv file with Excel, I find some "split rows", I would expect one unique line per row but instead sometimes I have half line positioned in the second column (as in the screenshot below).

nicofantinato_0-1634128333143.png

I'd like to obtain only one entire line per row,  so every event only in the first column of the Excel.

The source search finds some events and tables some fields as result.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

nicofantinato
Path Finder

I found out that Excel rows are splitted in multiple columns when semicolon character is used. I want to highlight that I have this problem both when I use export button on a search results and when reports send emails with csv attached.
For example, this is a screenshot of the search result:

nicofantinato_0-1635165956313.png

and this is how I find events for "Result" field once I export them and I open them in Excel:

nicofantinato_1-1635166171314.png

with the line splitted when it encounters a semicolon.

Is there a way to change CSV delimiter for export action or other options? Do I have to set a custom sendmail.py for my app?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...