Reporting

Your opinion on creating a common field name across all saved searches to be able to split results by 'saved search name'

ramgnisiv
Path Finder

Hi guys,

I'm building an app that collects metrics from various sources.
In the dashboard, all metrics will be shown with Trellis layout, categorised by source.

My current set-up of saved searches (about 100 saved searches across 8 sources with 1 summary index) does not yet follow a naming convention for the search result fields.
A lot of saved searches do not even have a defined result field.

I'm thinking of creating a common field across ALL of my saved searches (potentially this will grow from 100 to 1.000) where i would call this common field something like 'metric' or in other cases 'score'.

My theory behind this is that when i want to search across the output of my saved searches in my summary index, i could search with something like this:

index=summary_index_name search_name=* | stats avg(metric) by saved_search_name

In theory, this would make searching and splitting of data across all saved searches very easy.

Each summary index populating saved search would look a little something like this:

index=name_of_index | sistats avg(field_name) as metric by field_name_2

My questions:

• What is your opinion about this set-up using a common field name?
  • What can go wrong when i use this type of set-up using a common field name?
  • What else could i do to make life easy when i have a lot of saved searches and i want easy maintenance and flexibility in dashboarding?

wmyersas
Builder

Sounds like you're describing something like CIM (Common Information Model) compliance:

ramgnisiv
Path Finder

Thanks, i think I am describing something like the CIM indeed.

If there was no CIM, would the approach described make sense to you?

0 Karma

wmyersas
Builder

If there was no CIM, yes ... you'd basically be reinventing the CIM 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...