Reporting

Working  with mutivalues in stats command

cindygibbs_08
Communicator

Hello Everyone I hope you are all having a great day.

I have been trying to understand how to properly work with multi values in Splunk, but it has been a true struggle for me,  after i execute this command:

| stats values(CODE) as CODE	values(DATE_IN) as DATE_IN	values(DATE_REQUESTS) as DATE_REQUESTS by HOST

I get something like this:

HOSTCODEDATE_INDATE_REQUESTS
AUYUJ
XYHH
6/05/2021
6/06/2021
6/07/2021
BOLP
NMJ
TYU
WER
BIYU
7/06/2021
8/06/2021
9/06/2021
10/06/2021
11/06/2021

8/09/2021
9/09/2021

But what I really want is to create a table like this one: 

cindygibbs_08_0-1621805024825.png

Where I can create a single row for each ID , CODE and DATE_IN and to later on subtract each DATE_REQUEST to the single value in DATE_IN in a field named DATE_DIFF and finally create a field called SELECT in which I will be picking the smallest positive number from the  potentially multivalue field DATE_DIFF

I appreciate everyone's good will to help me out on this one I'm a rookie when it comes to Splunk and all of my attempts at using the mvexpand fucntion have not returned my desired outcome, thank you guys for your help.

Kindly,

Cindy

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @cindygibbs_08 

values will gives an ordered array of values from the events which when you have more than one values field the order in the fields may not align with the original events and there may be different numbers of values in the fields. For example, CODE for HOST B would not be in the order you show, nor would DATE_IN if they are string values.

However, if you use list instead, the lists maintain the order and number of values from the original events.

mvexpand only works on one field at a time and cannot easily be used to re-establish the relationship between the fields to match the original events.

mvzip (which is possibly a command you should look at) can be used to join multivalue fields together into one multivalue field, which could then be mvexpanded and then split into separate fields.

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @cindygibbs_08 

values will gives an ordered array of values from the events which when you have more than one values field the order in the fields may not align with the original events and there may be different numbers of values in the fields. For example, CODE for HOST B would not be in the order you show, nor would DATE_IN if they are string values.

However, if you use list instead, the lists maintain the order and number of values from the original events.

mvexpand only works on one field at a time and cannot easily be used to re-establish the relationship between the fields to match the original events.

mvzip (which is possibly a command you should look at) can be used to join multivalue fields together into one multivalue field, which could then be mvexpanded and then split into separate fields.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...