Reporting

Will a new-ingested but old-dated event be accelerated in DMA?

davietch
Path Finder

Hello,

I was wondering if a new event time-generated 1 month ago but indexed today (with the correct _time, meaning "a month ago") will be accelerated by the Summarization process?

Or is there a way to change the earliest time in the Summarization search for the Data Model Acceleration?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps this will help. https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.0/Knowledge/Acceleratedatamodels

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Whether or not a particular event is included in a DMA depends on the summarization range of the DM.  If the range goes back at least a month then a new event dated a month ago will be included.

---
0 Karma

davietch
Path Finder

Hello

Yes, assuming the range is at least a month big.

So that means the summarize search will have a default of "earliest" windows as 1 month? Because the event will be in a bucket named with epoch time of the event (i.e. <latest_event_epoch>_<earliest_event_epoch>_id). So the summarization search need to be able to search into that bucket.

Is there a documentation talking about this?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you looking for documentation about how datamodel acceleration finds events that arrived a month late?  There isn't anything that specific.

---
0 Karma

davietch
Path Finder

I was just thinking about some docs describing how the summarization search works and how it can be tuned.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps this will help. https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.0/Knowledge/Acceleratedatamodels

---
0 Karma

davietch
Path Finder

Hello,

Yes I found this sentence : "This method of summary building also ensures that late-arriving data is summarized without complication."

But without real explanation.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...