Reporting

Why does my license report not reflect the license pool?

a212830
Champion

Hi,

I have a license pool setup for numerous customers. We generate reports for that license pool every night, but the amount of the license displayed in the report does not match what I have allocated to them. Why is that? They have 525gb allocated, but the report constantly shows 512gb.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Maybe throw the search that runs the report here? I've done a lot with reports based off the license_usage.log and the REST endpoints so hopefully between the whole community we can find that needle in the haystack.

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

Here's an app you can use to get better license reports: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2678/

0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

Terms like GB, MB, and KB are unfortunately ambiguous as they can mean both powers of 1000 bytes or powers of 1024 bytes ( here's a handy table on wikipedia). Now in Splunk, when you're looking at the licensing view shows license allocations in terms of "MB" (this is in fact the JEDEC definition of MB not the metric version so actually IEC MiB see the table) So on that view I'm guessing you are seeing that you have allocated 524,288 MB (which in terms of bytes is actually 549,755,813,888 (524288 * 1024^2)... open your license files in a text editor and add up the quota number to see this). The usage report knows that Splunk works in the JEDEC terms, so to convert from your allocated MB to the allocated GB you need to divide by 1024 not 1000 (so 524288 / 1024 = 512 GB (JEDEC GB or GiB)). That report is driven by Usage events in the license master which uses poolsz in bytes so technically it's doing 549755813888 / 1024^3 to get to 512 GB.

acharlieh
Influencer

It's actually GiB, factors of 1024 not 1000

a212830
Champion

Don't follow...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...