Reporting

When I clicked "view results" on alert mail, "The search you requested could not be found." message was showed in display.

yutaka1005
Builder

I set an alert that works everyday and sends mail.

Today I clicekd "view results" on alert mail, then "The search you requested could not be found." message was showed in display.

But I didn't delete search job manually.
And not much time has passed since the alert has started.
Why did this search job expire?

I hope someone can tell me.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mayurr98
Super Champion

seems you have encountered a known issue SPL-132078
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.4/ReleaseNotes/KnownIssues#Saved_search.2C_alerting...

If above is not correct then try this

Edit your savedsearches.conf file and set the dispatch.ttl value. The default value is 2p which means 2 times longer than the scheduled interval of your search.

savedsearches.conf:

<code>[my_very_long_and_intensive_savedsearch_name]
 dispatch.ttl = 10p
</code>

From the savedsearch.conf docs:

dispatch.ttl = <integer>[p]

Time to live (in seconds) for the artifacts of the scheduled search, if no actions are triggered.
If an action is triggered the ttl is changed to that actions's ttl, if multiple actions are triggered
the maximum ttl is applied to the artifacts. For setting action's ttl refer to alert_actions.conf.spec
If the integer is followed by the letter 'p' the ttl is interpreted as a multiple of the scheduled search's period.
Defaults to 2p.

let me know if this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

wrangler2x
Motivator

If you edit the alert in Settings->Searches, reports, and alerts, scroll down to the section titled Alert, and in that section you will find a setting for Expiration. I was just looking at an alert I created a while ago (which as I recall I left this setting default) and it shows an expiration of "After 6 hours" (How long Splunk keeps a record of each triggered alert). If the time between the alert being triggered and your clicking on the link in the emailed alert is greater than this value, the alert will not be available to view.

Your choices here are 6, 12, and 24 hours; 2 days and 7 days, or you can set a custom time.

0 Karma

suchi01

Can you please let me know what exactly do you mean by custom time?

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

seems you have encountered a known issue SPL-132078
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.4/ReleaseNotes/KnownIssues#Saved_search.2C_alerting...

If above is not correct then try this

Edit your savedsearches.conf file and set the dispatch.ttl value. The default value is 2p which means 2 times longer than the scheduled interval of your search.

savedsearches.conf:

<code>[my_very_long_and_intensive_savedsearch_name]
 dispatch.ttl = 10p
</code>

From the savedsearch.conf docs:

dispatch.ttl = <integer>[p]

Time to live (in seconds) for the artifacts of the scheduled search, if no actions are triggered.
If an action is triggered the ttl is changed to that actions's ttl, if multiple actions are triggered
the maximum ttl is applied to the artifacts. For setting action's ttl refer to alert_actions.conf.spec
If the integer is followed by the letter 'p' the ttl is interpreted as a multiple of the scheduled search's period.
Defaults to 2p.

let me know if this helps!

0 Karma

yutaka1005
Builder

Thank you for answer mayurr98.

When this event occurred, I configured the schedule to 5 minute intervals. Moreover, I did not change the period of dispatch.ttl from the default, so I think that this event occurred.

It was very helpful!

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

which splunk version are you using?

0 Karma

yutaka1005
Builder

Thank you for comment mayurr98!

I'm using Splunk version 6.6.4.

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

seems like a known issue OR bug
I think you can see Activity -> Triggered alerts dropdown. However, if you click on the RSS link in Settings -> Search and Reports I get an error page?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...